Guest Blogging Guidelines
At Trek Iceland we are dedicated to educating and inspiring people about the nature and culture of Iceland. We want you to join us!
Thank you for your interest in contributing to our site! Whether you are an experienced writer, avid traveler, or an Iceland expert, we offer fellow travelers the chance to publish their pieces. Before you submit your piece, please familiarize yourself with the process and guidelines below.
1. Pitch your topic
Do you have an Iceland itinerary with travel tips from your last vacation? Or a journal entry on hiking the Icelandic Highlands? We are looking for creative story ideas that our readers will find interesting and informative.
Before you submit a blog for approval and editing, we require you to send a story pitch. Please read the template below for detailed instructions.
The first paragraph should be your story pitch and include a brief explanation of your personal connection or expertise on the topic or what piqued your interest in the story.
The most important part of the pitch is how/why it will be interesting or informative for our readers
End your pitch with a brief background on who you are. This blurb can be informal and does not need to be an extensive resume.
All pitches should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the [BLOG PITCH + the blog title] in the email subject line.
We encourage writers to familiarize themselves with our blog style and content before pitching. Appropriate topic ideas include but aren’t limited to:
- Personal travel accounts in Iceland
- Travel planning and tips
- Interesting research about Iceland
- Expert guides on outdoor adventures
- Hidden gems and unique events
2. Your pitch was approved, now what?
Congratulations, you got the green light on your pitch! Before you start writing, please read our writing guidelines:
- All content must be original. If you use any content that is not yours, it must be properly quoted.
- We do not accept previously published content.
- The purpose of our guest blogs is to entertain and inform. We do not allow advertising of any kind. This includes plugging personal accounts to follow.
- Articles must be at least 500 words, but the ideal word count is 1000-2000.
- Page links are allowed but only if it truly benefits the content.
3. Let your creative juices flow
Once you have the guidelines down you are ready to write! Article submissions go through a light editing process after submission, but writers are responsible for ensuring they turn in high-quality content. If you have questions about spelling, capitalization, and best practices, check our style guide.
Please include a 2-3 sentence writer bio and photo along with your finished article.
4. Submit for edits and final approval
Once you finish your blog, please submit it as a Google document to: email@example.com, with [BLOG DRAFT + title] in the subject line.
Before we publish your story our editors will proofread your piece to make sure it follows our submission guidelines.
Photo and Video Requirements
We accept visual content alongside written submissions if they meet the following quality requirements:
- Size: under 200kb
- Resolution: 2:3 / 1500x1000
- Format: JPG/JPEG2000/WEBP
- Crop unnecessary elements out of your photos
- Minimum dimension: 426 x 240.
- Max dimension: 3840 x 2160.
- Aspect ratio: 16:9 (auto adds pillarboxing if 4:3).
- Max file size: 128GB
- Accepted video formats include: .MOV, .MPEG4, MP4, .AVI, .WMV, .MPEGPS, .FLV, 3GPP, and WebM.
- Max video length: 12 hours.
Editing is permitted but the content of pictures/videos cannot be manipulated. Don’t over edit except to enhance clarity.
How long does my blog submission have to be?
We look for quality over quantity for our writing submissions. However, all articles must be a minimum of 500 words. The ideal length is 1000-2000 words.
Do I have to have previous writing experience to submit a guest blog?
No. Guest blogs give our visitors the chance to hear from fellow travelers and Iceland aficionados, not just industry experts and professionals. We ask all our contributors to submit only their highest quality work.
Do I get compensation for my blog submission?
No. Our contributors submit blogs to share their experiences and advice on Iceland with the travel community. After publishing, these pieces can be shared and linked on the internet.