Icelandic Tourist Board
TREK 29 - Three day tour to the southwest wonders of Landmannalaugar. A true realm of Icelandic nature revealing endless beauty and hiking possibilities.
Ljóti Pollur crater lake (e. Ugly Puddle)
Bláhnúkur (e. Blue Peak)
Frostaðavatn lake (e. Frostastadavatn)
- Hot spring bathing
If you purchase the pick-up extra:
- between 7:15 - 7:45 at your accommodation in Reykjavik
If you do not select the pick-up extra:
- 7 a.m. at Reykjavik's City Hall (Ráðhúsið) - Tourist Information Center
- Guiding Service
- All meals
- Mountain Hut
This Trek will take you to the best spots of the Landmannalaugar area - Lake Frostastadavatn, the ill-named Ljótipollur crater (Ugly Puddle), Brennisteinsalda volcano, Sudurnamur mountain ridge, Vondugil Canyon and Blahnukur peak. Enjoy hiking in a geothermal wonderland surrounded by colorful mountains, rhyolite hills and steaming fumaroles. After each day we have a prime opportunity relax in the hot spring pool of Landmannalaugar. Our Three Day hiking tour to one of the most geothermally active areas of Iceland is ideal for all hikers and lovers of nature. At last but not least, Landmannalaugar is the official starting point for the famous Laugavegur Trek ranked among the "20 Best Hikes in the World" by National Geographic.
Combine this trip with our famous Laugavegur & Fimmvorduhals Trek of and make it into an Eight Day Combo Trip!
Day 1: FROSTASTADAVATN - LJOTIPOLLUR
The tour starts by the Reykjavík tourist info at Reykjavik's City Hall (Ráðhúsið) by Tjörnin pond at 7.00 a.m. It's located in downtown Reykjavik and within walking distance from most hotels, hostels and guesthouses in central Reykjavik. We also offer pick up at your Reykjavik accommodation for a small fee. After introductions, we board the bus that takes us to Landmannalaugar. From Reykjavik, we drive inland through the beautiful Thjorsardalur valley, named after the river Thjorsa, the longest river in Iceland, going onwards to Hekla Volcano. Passing extensive lava fields from previous eruptions we approach the Landmannalaugar area with its stunning peaks. After our lunch, we will set on a 10 km hike to the ill-named Ljoti pollur Lake, chosen one of the World’s Most Beautiful Crater Lakes. Ljoti pollur is an incredibly beautiful red crater filled with bright-blue water. After the hike, we will enjoy a rejuvenating bath at the natural steaming hot spring of Landamannalaugar.
( L, r, D). Driving: 4 hours Hiking Distance 10-12 km (6-7,50 mi).
Day 2: BRENNISTEINSALDA - VONDUGIL - SUDURNAMUR RHYOLITE MOUNTAIN
Today we will hike up to Sudurnamur, a 200.000 years old mountain ridge of rhyolite minerals. On the way up to the Sudurnamur you will enjoy numerous ravines and colorful sights of the area; and on its top a dramatic view of the Landmannalaugar empire, Mt. Kirkjufell, Laugahraun lava, Blahnukur volcano and Brennisteinsalda, the most colorful mountain in Iceland. The day is completely filled with stunning scenes of the Icelandic highlands. In the evening we will have the final chance (at least for now) to soak in the hot springs .
(B, L, r, D). Driving: 0 hours Hiking Distance 11 km (6,84 mi).
Day 3: BLAHNUKUR VOLCANO
After our breakfast buffet, we will continue on a 3.5-hour adventure going up to Blahnukur, a 60.000 years old volcano, known for its bluish shades and vast body. The hiking trail leads up to the top of the mountain from which, in good conditions, you will get a fantastic view of multiple glaciers. Blahnukur is one of the best places to do some panoramic Landmannalaugar landscape photography. On the top of the mountain, you will get a chance to really appreciate the powerful effect of the geo-dynamic activity on the landscape and your guide will be sure to explain all the wonders of the area. After coming down we will take a small break before we boarding a bus back to Reykjavik. We will arrive at the city center around 18:00 o’clock.
(B, L). Driving: 4 hours Hiking Distance: 7 km (4,35 mi) Ascent: 400 m (1312´)
The entries at the end of each day indicate the meals included (B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, r=refreshment, D= Dinner).
Outside of Reykjavik, we offer these pick-up places en-route to Landmannalaugar:
8:35 from Hveragerdi * N1 gas station
8:50 from Selfoss N1 gas station
9:30 from Hella- Bus Terminal
* Stop only if passengers have requested prior.
- Hiking boots, good sturdy boots with sufficient ankle support for walking on rough trails. They should have a robust sole and preferably waterproof
- Warm jacket, fleece, primaloft or similar
- Rain jacket with a hood, preferable breathable fabric such as Gore tex or similar
- Rain trousers, preferable breathable fabric such as Gore tex or similar
- Gloves, wool or synthetic, preferable waterproof
- Hiking socks
- Warm hat and/or balaclava
- Backpack for daily use
- Sleeping bag and travel pillow. A light sleeping with no specific temperature rating will be sufficient
- Liner if you rent the sleeping bag
- Tooth brush and personal toiletries
- Sunglasses/sunscreen (high protection, the sun in Iceland can be really strong)
- Water bottle
- Small personal first aid kit (compeed and tape for blisters)
- Pain killers such as aspirin or ibuprofen
- DONT FORGET TO BRING EXTRAS OF IMPORTANT HEALTH SUPPLIES OR SPECIAL PRESCRIPTION MEDICINE IN CASE YOU NEED ANY
- Hiking poles
- Camera, batteries, memory card
- Headlamp for trips in late season, after august 10th.
- Earplugs/Sleep mask