Old Farm Hike
Family Hike in East Iceland
This half-day hiking tour is perfect for families – as we explore Iceland’s untamed highlands. We’ll be heading to the old abandoned farm of Kleif – giving us an authentic taste of how people managed to survive in this extreme environment. The brave members of the group can winch themselves across the Jökulsá river in our traditional cableway – making the tour educational and fun for people of all ages.
- 15 May – 31 October
- 3–4 hours
- Total Distance
- 6 km / 3.7 mi
- Min. Age
- No age limit
- 8 500
- Visit to an abandoned farm
- Crossing the Jökulsá river using a hand operated winch
- Education about the local history and folktales
What Is Included?
- Fully guided tour
We’ll meet at the Wilderness Center and then venture out into the highlands. We’ll be aiming for the old abandoned farm at Kleif – watching out for the Arctic wildlife that lives in the area, including reindeer and plenty of birds.
Upon arrival at Kleif, we’ll go on a fully guided tour of the farm and hear stories of how Icelanders managed to survive in this unfriendly place and take a look at the Jökulsá river. The adrenaline-seekers in the group can winch themselves across it in our cableway – a thrilling experience that will give you a bird’s eye view of its white-crested waters. Then, we’ll go back to the farm and enjoy some warming refreshments after an educational day in the wilderness.
- Rain jacket or softshell jacket
- Rain pants or softshell pants
- Warm sweater or fleece jacket
- Woolen cap
- Shoes suited to the terrain
- Water bottle (but you can also take a sip from some of the natural springs on the way)
- Snack (you can also get provisions at the Wilderness Center)