Icelandic Tourist Board
Trek 14 - Explore the incredible ice world of the Solheimajokull glacier in South Iceland
- Glacier hike
- Small Group Guarantee
- Sólheimajökull e. Solheimajokull glacier
- Meet us at the Solheimajokull Parking Lot. Distance from Reykjavik approx. 164 km / 101 mi. GPS 63°31’00.48°N, 19°22’00.12W (WGS84).
Solheimajokull Parking Lot
- Look for a white vehicle marked Arctic Adventures
- Please be there no later then 15 min. before the scheduled start time.
- Guided glacier hiking tour on Solheimajokull glacier with an certified glacier guide and all specialized glacier gear; including glacier crampons, ice axe and other glacier safety equipment.
We meet at the parking lot a Solheimajokull where the guide welcomes you to the group. After a short introduction to the equipment and safety briefing, we take a short walk across the black volcanic ash and sand to the glacier tongue. As you walk through the valley that the glacier filled only a few years ago, your can clearly see how the glacier is retreating and changing. At the edge of the glacier, we lace up our crampons and set foot on the glacier for our adventure through this otherworldly natural wonder, a rugged, raw and ever changing hub of ancient frozen water.
With the rapid rate of global climate change, glaciers are shrinking and we never know when the last chance for an adventure like this will come. So use your opportunity while you are in Iceland and explore an amazing crawling glacier, before they melt and become inaccessible.
- Warm outdoor clothing
- Waterproof jacket and pants
- Headwear and gloves
- Good hiking shoes are recommended
- Note: Sturdy hiking shoes, waterproof jacket and pants can be rented.