Icelandic Tourist Board
TREK 04 - A hike of a lifetime. This hike takes you on to the Fimmvorduhals pass where the glaciers Eyjafjallajokull and Myrdalsjokull meet. This pass is also where the famous volcanic eruption that caught the whole world's attention happened in 2010. We drive from Reykjavik into Thorsmork valley on 4x4 Super Jeeps and start our journey hiking up to this miraculous area of glaciers, volcanoes and all things exciting.
- Þórsmörk Nature Reserve (e. Thorsmork Valley)
- Fimmvörðuháls (e. Fimmvorduhals Pass)
- Magni and Móði (e. Magni and Modi volcanic craters)
- 4x4 Super Jeep
- Seljalandsfoss Waterfall
- A view of Eyjafjallajökull (e. Eyjafjallajokull glacier volcano)
- *Pick-up starts at 8 a.m. from your Reykjavik accommodation
- *Pick up from N1 Gas Station in Hvolsvollur is at 9:40 a.m.
*Please note that it can take up to 30 minutes for us to arrive
- Transfer from and to Reykjavík city and expert super jeep driver and hiking guide.
Thorsmork is a nature reserve at the foot of the majestic Eyjafjallajokull volcano and Myrdalsjokull glacier. Thorsmork is truly a unique place with its rugged nature and stunning beauty. For thousands of years glaciers and glacial rivers have carved out this spectacular valley, creating its dramatic landscape of sandstone sculptures, deep canyons and sharp ridges. It is a spectacular sight not easily forgotten. To reach this secluded highland valley, driving across unabridged glacial rivers we will need a modified 4x4 super jeep and an experienced guide. The tour begins with a drive along the beautiful south coast to Seljalandsfoss waterfall and passes the Gigjokull glacier where we will see first-hand the results of the destructive power of the Eyjafjallajokull glacier. In 2010 a massive flood of meltwater and small icebergs, from the volcanic crater, ripped the glacier to shreds and completely flooded the area for a while.
We continue to Basar cabin where we will take off on our 6-8 hour hike up to Fimmvorduhals pass. The ascend is between 700-800 meters. This spectacular trail of approximately 16 km, through Iceland’s varied landscape, encompassing views of glaciers, snow-capped mountains, newly formed craters and fresh lava, volcanoes and the most surreal beauty of Thorsmork.
Thorsmork Valley and the hiking tour in the foothills of Eyjafjallajokull and all of Fimmvorduhals’s volcanic activity is an unforgettable trekking experience where the feeling of solitude and beauty is truly magical.
- Warm outdoor clothing
- Waterproof jacket and pants
- Head wear and gloves
- Good hiking shoes are recommended (note: hiking shoes, waterproof jacket and pants can be rented online).