Icelandic Tourist Board
TREK 12 - A unique chance to explore the Icelandic Hot Springs; Hiking a great 7 km trail into Reykjadalur (e. Smokey Valley) coming across unforgettable natural beauty and the cherry on top being the hot river that flows through the valley making it the perfect place for some hot spring bathing. This hike is suitable for anyone and a real must do.
Reykjadalur (e. Smokey Valley)
Hellisheiði (e. Hellisheidi Mountain Range)
Soaking in a naturally hot river
If you purchased the pick-up from Reykjavik:
- 8 a.m. in the summer time and 9 a.m. in the winter time from your Reykjavik accommodation*.
If you did not purchase the pick-up from Reykjavik:
- 9 a.m. in the summer time and 10 a.m. in the winter time at N1 Gas Station in Hveragerdi*.
*Please note that it can take up to 30 minutes for us to arrive.
- Guided hiking tour to the hot springs in Reykjadalur with a local guide and bathe in the hot river.
Heading in an easterly direction we leave Reykjavík and drive over Hellisheidi mountain where we pass the geothermal power plant that supplies all the capital area with electricity. Just below Hellisheidi the town of Hveragerdi (e. Geyser Garden) greets us with steaming hot springs spread around the area. We start our hike in Hveragerdi following the hiking path that leads us to the beautiful geothermal valley of Reykjadalur. In the valley, water from the hot springs mixes with the clear mountain springs making the temperature ideal for bathing. The valley has an amazing abundance of geothermal phenomena; mud pots, fumaroles and hot springs. After the exotic bath and exploration of these wonders of nature, we hike back down to the town of Hveragerdi. Don’t forget to bring a towel and bathing suit, this is a wonderful experience!
- Warm and waterproof outdoor clothing
- Headwear & gloves
- Bathing suit & towel
- Good hiking shoes (recommended, can be rented online beforehand).