Small volcanic eruption has started
August 29, 2014
Small volcanic eruption has started, north of Vatnajökull Dyngjujökull. It´s very small and will not effect any of our tours, Trek Iceland is running the same program as every other day.
Small volcanic eruption has started, north of Vatnajökull Dyngjujökull. It´s very small and will not effect any of our tours, this is far away from all of our tours Laugavegur and Fjallabak area and Laki - Skaftafell. The eruption started at 2:00 am last night, scientists estimate the fissure to be at 1 km long.
"No volcanic ash has been detected with the radar system at the moment. The wind field conditions in the area are wind blowing toward NW at 12 m/s at 5 km altitude. Seismic eruption tremor is low indicating effusive eruption without significant explosive activity."
- A small fissure eruption has started in Holuhraun lava North of Dyngjujökull glacier in Vatnajökull glacier
- The eruption site is outside of the glacier
- No volcanic ash
- The National Commissioner of the Icelandic Police has raised the Civil Protection Phase to Emergency Phase in collaboration with the District Commissioner of Police in Husavik
- Aviation color-code set by the Icelandic MetOffice was raised to red and restrictions on airspace have taken effect over the eruption site
- Highland closures remain in effect
- All airports, international and domestic, are open.