Equipment list for Cross Country Skiing Tours
(Cross Country skiing = Nordic Skiing)
Boots and Clothing:
- Ski boots with soft but robust sole. The boots should be either of leather or soft plastic like the Scarpa T3 / T4 or the Garmont Excursion with 75 mm toe, NNN BC or SNS XADV Raid.
- Long sleeve shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic.
- Long Johns (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic.
- Light wool sweater or fleece (2nd layer).
- Warm Jacket – Soft shell or fleece (3rd layer).
- Trousers (2nd layer) – Strong and light material that dries quickly. Wind resistant and water repelling preferable.
- Rain Jacket or an Anorak with hood – Waterproof and breathable material
(Gore-Tex or equivalents are preferable).
- Rain trousers – Waterproof and breathable material.
- Liner Gloves – Wool or synthetic (polypropylene / polyester).
- Mittens – Wool or synthetic (two pairs if no liner gloves).
- Over Mittens of waterproof material (Gore-Tex or alternative).
- Socks – Wool or synthetic. 3 pairs.
- Hat and a Balaclava – Wool or synthetic.
- 1 face mask (optional)
- Sleeping Bag – Down or synthetic. Aim for light weight and warm bag. Goose down with high “fills power” or top of the line synthetic bags are recommended. You will need one rated with comfort level down to -25°C or colder according to EN13537 standard.
- Insulation mattress of min thickness of 12 mm or air mattress (Thermarest or alternative).
- Parka – Down or synthetic jacket/anorak.
- Backpack: 35L – 60L.
- Duffel bag: 70L – 110L.
- Sunglasses – Big enough to cover the eyes and with sufficient UV-protection.
- Ski Goggles.
- Sun Protection.
- Water Bottle/'Camel pack' (1litre or 1 ½ litre recommended). NB. Camel packs external tubes can freeze
- Thermo bottle 0.75L – 1L.
- 1 set eating utensils with bowl
- 1 pee bottle (small plastic bottle)
- Camera equipment – Incl. spare batteries, memory card and/or films.
- Towel (light and packable), toothbrush, ear plugs and other personal belongings ...
- Swimming costume
- Small personal first aid kit ('Compeed' and tape for blisters, pain killers such as aspirin or ibuprofen)
- Gaiters– Calf or knee height and wide enough for the boots.
- Pocketknife – multi-tool
- Head light
- Compass and GPS (optional)
- Watch (optional)
- Antiseptic hand gel
- Camp shoes
- Ice axe (TREK provide)
- Crampons (TREK provide) for Vatnajökull
- Shovel (TREK provide)
- Nordic touring/Cross country skis (minimum width of 50 mm) with steel edges and strong but lightweight bindings, e.g. Rottefella 75 mm, NNN BC or SNS XADV Raid.
- Skins covering the whole ski length and width.
- Extra glue (adhesive) for skins.
- Ski poles of the strongest type with big enough basket.
Note: All gear should be wrapped in waterproof/plastic bags before packing it in the duffel bag.